As a result of the war, migration stopped for a period of ten years. However, the 1950’s saw a rapid increase in the number of Greek migrants to Australia and the Brisbane Community. This resulted in overcrowding at the Old Church, particularly during feast days such as Christmas and Easter. This facilitated discussions on the building of a new Church.
General Meetings revolved around the issue of a new Church and subsequently the Community began searching for a suitable site for its establishment.
The Community had already purchased a building in 1952 in Browning Street, South Brisbane (the present G.O.Y.A. House), but it was felt that this was not suitable. At a General Meeting on the 22 April 1956 under the Chairmanship of Metropolitan Theophylaktos, it was decided that if another suitable property could not be found, then a new Church would be built on the Browning Street site.
Later that year it was decided to purchase land situated at the corner of Edmondstone Street and Besant Street, South Brisbane for the new Church. Ron Martin Wilson Architects drew up plans and these plans were approved by the Archdiocese in Sydney and by the Brisbane City Council.
On the 4 May 1958 in the presence of Government Officials, Members & Parishioners, Metropolitan Theophylaktos laid the Foundation Stone for the new Church and so commenced the building of the new Church of St George.
On the 24 April 1960, Archbishop Ezekiel officiated at the consecration of the new Church.
On this, the 75th Anniversary of the first Greek Orthodox Church in Brisbane, the Greek Community of Brisbane hails the efforts of the hard working Christians who helped to build the Church to what it is today.
Address: 33 Edmondstone Street, South Brisbane, QLD 4101
Postal Address: P.O.Box 3620, South Brisbane, QLD 4101
Telephone: (07) 3844 3669
Facsimile: (07) 3844 0967
Feast Day: 23th April