The foundation stone of the Church was laid by His Eminence Archbishop STYLIANOS of Australia on 9th March 1991 and it was officially opened on 11th January 1992. The feast day of the Church, St Athanasios the Great is celebrated on 18th January and the 2nd of May, which is the uncovering of the relics of the saint.
The Church constitutes part of the Independent section of Rookwood Necropolis catering in excess of 7,000 deceased persons of the Eastern Orthodox Faith.
According to the cemetery records, the first Greek Orthodox person was interred on 22nd November 1895 – Ioannis Mouras.
Address: Cnr. Weekes & Carpenter Ave, Rookwood, NSW
Feast Day: 18th January – 2nd May