A small group of Greek pioneers living in Corona met for the first time on March 28, 1926, with their primary concern being the establishment of a Greek Orthodox community in Corona, to meet the spiritual needs of the Greeks in the area.
Their decisiveness manifested itself one week later, on Palm Sunday, when they held their first Divine Liturgy in the church converted from what was formerly a store on Roosevelt Avenue. and 94th Street. In September 1926, the purchase of a house located between 28th Avenue and 99th Street was decided, which was consequently converted into a church and remained in use until the opening of the new church, in April 1957.
The first priests who served the community were Presbyter Daniel Skarpas, who remained for a short time, Fr. Nikolaos Andriopoulos who stayed until 1928, at which time Archimandrite Alexandros Gerontidakis assumed the duties of parish priest and teacher for 28 years, until the assignment of Archimandrite Evmenios Tselentakis, on December 1, 1956. He served the community for 27 years and it was during this period that the new church and school were built.
38-05 98th Street
Corona, NY 11368
Rev. Fr. George Anastasiou – Presiding Priest
Phone: (718) 458-5251